Ruin
Beaufort Castle (Luxembourg)
🇱🇺 Luxembourg · 12th century
Beaufort Castle (Luxembourgish: Buerg Beefort; French: Château de Beaufort; German: Burg) dating from the 11th century consists of the ruins of the medieval fortress and an adjacent residence from the 17th century. It is located in Beaufort in eastern Luxembourg.
It was probably in the 11th century that the castle began as a small square-shaped fortress on a large rock protected by a moat and a second wall above the valley. A reference from 1192 indicates that Wauthier de Wiltz et Beaufort was its first lord. During the first half of the 12th century, a keep was added and the gate was moved and enlarged. In 1348, the property came into the hands of the House of Orley after Adelaide of Beaufort married William of Orley. The Lords of Orley made significant extensions overlooking the valley. In 1477, Maximilian of Austria transferred the castle to Johann Bayer von Boppard after Johann von Orley-Beaufort committed a breach in trust. In 1539, Bernard von Velbrück became Lord of Beaufort through marriage and added the large wing with cross-framed windows on top of the medieval walls.
The castle then came into the hands of Gaspard de Heu who had married Velbrück's granddaughter. A partisan of the Dutch resistance and the House of Orange, de Heu was captured by the Spaniards, accused of heresy and treason, and publicly executed in Luxembourg's fish market in 1593. Philip II of Spain confiscated the property and entrusted it to Peter Ernst Graf von Mansfeld, the governor of Luxembourg. Through marriage, the castle became the property of Henri de Chalon and then Gaspard du Bost-Moulin who had to sell it after being ruined by the Thirty Years War. Acting on behalf of the Spanish king, Johann Baron von Beck, governor of Luxembourg, bought most of the property in 1639. He initiated the construction of a new residence in 1643 but after he died of injuries from the Battle of Lens in 1648, the work was completed by his son in 1649.
After various changes in ownership including Pierre de Coumont (1774) and Jean Théodore Baron de Tornaco-Vervoy (1781), the castle was abandoned, fell into disrepair and at the beginning of the 19th century was even used as a quarry. In 1850, it was listed by the State as a national monument.
Text adapted from “Beaufort Castle, Luxembourg” on Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 4.0.
Beaufort Castle (Luxembourg) ranks #1,740 of 7,738 worldwide in the atlas's castle fame ranking, and #5 of the 45 mapped in Luxembourg. Founded 1192, it is older than 79% of the atlas's dated landmarks — one of 544 atlas entries founded in the 12th century. Its Wikipedia articles were opened 2,402 times in the last 60 days, more than 70% of the atlas. 28 more atlas landmarks stand within 25 km. The nearest day-trip guide is Trier, 27 km away. It is one of the 43 landmarks on the atlas's regional map of the Moselle. See how Luxembourg compares in the castle statistics.
View on the interactive castle map →Frequently asked questions
Where is Beaufort Castle (Luxembourg)?
Beaufort Castle (Luxembourg) stands in Luxembourg, at 49.8336°, 6.28663°.
When was Beaufort Castle (Luxembourg) built?
The atlas dates its founding to 1192. Earlier structures may have stood on the site; this is the earliest documented founding year.
How famous is Beaufort Castle (Luxembourg)?
In this atlas's fame ranking: #1,740 of 7,738 worldwide, and #5 in Luxembourg. Fame here combines how many Wikipedia language editions cover a landmark with how many people read them.
What is the nearest castle to Beaufort Castle (Luxembourg)?
Bettendorf Castle, about 7 km away.
More castles in Luxembourg
- Schengen Castle Luxembourg · 19th century
- Clervaux Castle Luxembourg · 12th century
- Ansembourg Castle Luxembourg · 12th century
- Bourscheid Castle Luxembourg · 11th century
More ruins
- Samobor Castle Croatia · 13th century
- Qula Israel
- Abu Qubays Syria
- Krzyżtopór Poland