Castlemap

Castle

Château du Sou

🇫🇷 France · 14th century

Château du Sou in France
Photo: Benoitmars · FAL · Wikimedia Commons

The Château du Sou, situated at the bottom of the Morgon valley, is a converted castle in the commune of Lacenas, west of Villefranche-sur-Saône, in the Rhône département of France.

It is privately owned. It is available for receptions, weddings, themed events etc.

It was probably Jean de Thélis-L'Espinasse who built the castle. He became Governor and Lieutenant-General of Beaujolais in 1369. He married Artaude de Charnay; their son Jean married Agnès Vert, dame de Valprivas, but died without issue and the succession passed to their nephew, Jocerand. He was a squire of the Lord of Beaujel to whom he gave homage for Sou in 1475, as did his nephew and successor Antoine in 1506. Antoine married his cousin Jeanne de Saint-Romain, dame de Valorges; their son Louis married Jacqueline de Salemard.

In 1539, Louis de Thélis sold the castle to Claude de Gaspard. In the 16th century, one of the descendants, Jean, Lieutenant-General of the Bailiwick of Beaujolais, married Claudine de Tenay. Claude, lord of Sou, married Marguerite de la Porte in 1577; he was a counsellor to the King and General Receiver of Taxes in the Généralité of Lyon. In the 17th century, Marc, lord of Sou, married Sibylle de Saint-Amour around 1690 and gave the castle to his brother Joseph Marie, a superior priest at the seminary of Orléans in 1766; the latter gave the property to his cousin Mignot de Bussy in 1767.

His son, Aimé Antoine, Count of Sou, emigrated during the French Revolution and the château was sold as a national property. It is now owned by several proprietors who share the estate.

Construction work, in the golden stone of the region, dates from approximately 1369. The fortified enceinte, dotted with towers, forms an almost perfect square. There remain some traces of moats and the drawbridge. The keep has three upper storeys as well as the ground floor.

A Gothic chapel contains sculptures, including two angel heads.

On the northern side, the fortified gateway is decorated with 13 blazons or coats of arms: at the top is the blazon of the Gaspards, to the left are six more of the same and, to the right, six other blazons relating to their wives. During the Revolution, these blazons were damaged by hammer blows. The fortified gateway was listed on 21 February 1933 as a monument historique by the French Ministry of Culture.

A park, including a medieval garden, surrounds the château.

Text adapted from “Château du Sou” on Wikipedia, CC BY-SA 4.0.

Château du Sou ranks #6,365 of 7,787 worldwide in the atlas's castle fame ranking, and #478 of the 516 mapped in France. Founded c. 1350, it is older than 57% of the atlas's dated landmarks — one of 587 atlas entries founded in the 14th century. 17 more atlas landmarks stand within 25 km. The nearest day-trip guide is Lyon, 28 km away. See how France compares in the castle statistics.

View on the interactive castle map →

Read the full history on Wikipedia ↗

Frequently asked questions

Where is Château du Sou?

Château du Sou stands in France, at 45.98139°, 4.63944°.

When was Château du Sou built?

The atlas dates its founding to c. 1350. Earlier structures may have stood on the site; this is the earliest documented founding year.

How famous is Château du Sou?

In this atlas's fame ranking: #6,365 of 7,787 worldwide, and #478 in France. Fame here combines how many Wikipedia language editions cover a landmark with how many people read them.

What is the nearest castle to Château du Sou?

Château de Jarnioux, about 2 km away.

More castles in France

More castles